Tuesday, May 17, 2011

More Grafton Progress

I have been working on the structures that will provide some of the rail traffic in the community of Grafton. Although these industries never actually were located in Grafton, they do represent Carleton County industries in the 1960s: Karnes Bakery (located in Woodstock in the real world) was an important rail customer for the CNR. Their new bakery building was built in the 1960s. It is now owned by Canada Bread. On my layout, as in the real world, it will receive lots of flour deliveries in covered hoppers.



Hatfield Industries (actually located in Hartland) will be a major rail customer in the HO-scale version of Grafton. I remember going on a tour of the plant when I was a "Wolf Cub"--right around 1965. They made potato chips, but there was also a starch plant. They gave each of us a brown paper bag of warm potato chips--the grease seeped right through the bag!



The Baird Company Ltd. was located along the CNR near my boyhood home in Woodstock, and dealt in patent medicines. The building is now the Knight's of Columbus Hall.




I am still building the other major rail industry in Grafton--the Mason and Risch Piano Factory. It was actually located in Woodstock and opened in the 1960s--I remember attending the grand opening as a child. It had a very large dry kiln and received wood by rail. The CNR timetable warned that the curvature on the siding was very sharp and required reduced speed.




4 comments:

Scott Jay said...

Very nice! Can I work there when we come to visit? Huh, can I, Huh?

I promise I'll read the instructions!

Wayne Woodland said...

Nice work Steve, Really like the potato chip factory!!

I dont know about letting that Scott fellow work that area though!!

Wayne

Scott Jay said...

Really? Funny, I was noticing on the TSE the other day that the price of O-scale trees is going through the roof! I hope it doesn't affect future sales.

Steve Mc said...

Scott, I am certainly looking forward to another visit from the PEI guys. My schedule should be "normal" in the future--missing the PEI visit this past year was a real regret.

Thanks Wayne--part of the fun of the railway is remembering things from childhood like the Hatfield's plant.