Friday, May 24, 2013

Signal Project


New Signal Bridge in Avondale
About a year ago I made the decision to begin the process of adding operational signals to the Carleton Railway.  Progress has been slow (life has been busy!).  The signal masts are now in place, along with some relay cabinets, and I have been reading up on JMRI--I also attended several clinics on signalling at last year's NMRA national convention.  A major problem was at the east end of the Avondale yard.  The two vertical signal masts that had been positioned could not be seen well from the aisle and really didn't seem to "look" right.  

This evening I installed an NJ International two-track signal bridge.  I still have to add the signal heads and the wiring, but it looks much better and the signals will be more visible from the aisle.  Here are a couple of views of the new signal bridge (click on the photos to enlarge them):
You can see in the photos that the vertical signals just don't look right here.
I am obviously not going to have the signal system up and running for a while, but I am hoping that with help from other club members I will make some progress in the months ahead.

No comments: